I sighed. All I could think about was the litany of absurd and violent deaths the last couple of days:
- 62 immigrants dead from suffocation in a shipping container in Pakistan, the latest victims of greedy human traffickers;
- 3 police officers killed in Pittsburgh when they responded to a domestic dispute involving a dog urinating on a carpet;
- 13 people dead in an immigrant assistance center in Binghamton, NY, killed by a fellow immigrant who had been fired from his job because his English wasn't good enough;
- 5 innocent children killed by their father in Pierce County, Washington, as revenge against their mother for leaving him;
- 11 more corpses found in Mexico, the latest casualties of that country's interminable drug wars; etc...
In this context, the popularity of La Santa Muerte makes sense. The available evidence suggests that she is running the show, not el Rey de Reyes. Singing hosannas to the King of Kings feels like a charade when the only words my heart can form are: "My God, My God, why have You forsaken us?"
I turned the radio off, wept, and went back to sleep.