Padre Jony was born Joan Enric Reverté on November 23, 1967 in Amposta (Tarragona, Spain). From his youth he showed a talent for music and began to play the guitar at age 8. He shared his interest in rock music with his friends and bought his first electric guitar with his savings.
Called to the priesthood, Padre Jony entered the Tortosa Seminary where he pursued his theological and philosophical studies. He also studied Gregorian chant. He founded his first band, Seminari Boys. After seminary, he did additional music studies in solfeggio, piano, singing, conducting, and electric guitar.
Padre Jony was ordained to the priesthood on October 11, 1992 in Amposta. He started his ministry as a coadjutor in the parishes of Morella, Villores, Ortells and Palanques (Castellón). In Morella, he started a guitar school where he gave classes to more than 80 students. That is where the young people baptized him "Padre Jony" which became his stage name.
In 1995, Padre Jony was named coadjutor of the parish of Roquetes (Tarragona). Later, in 1997, he was named rector of three parishes in Masroig, Molar and Lloar (Tarragona) and was also named to the Council of Priests of his diocese. In 2006, he became coadjutor of Asunción de la Virgen parish in Vinaròs (Castellón) and coordinator of youth ministry in that city. He is currently pastor of San Pedro Apóstol parish in Les Cases d’Alcanar (Tarragona).
In addition to his pastoral duties, Padre Jony has given classes in various schools and institutes. He has been a missionary for the Tortosa diocese, traveling in that capacity to Honduras and Equatorial Guinea. There he expanded his spiritual and musical experience through contact with other cultures, viewing music as a universal means of communication.
In 1999, Padre Jony founded the rock group Properly, with whom he has performed over 40 concerts. In June 2005, his first CD, "Provocando la paz” ("Inciting Peace"), came out. He went on a tour that took him through Spain as well as to other European and Central American countries.
At the same time, he created the “Provocando la Paz” Foundation which aims to promote peace and solidarity through various kinds of action: financing solidarity projects (Guatemala, Sierra Leone), raising awareness about important issues (foreign debt, environmental contamination, child slavery...), pushing social commitment to more justice for the least fortunate.
As a result of this work, Padre Jony has received several awards. In March 2006, he received the Amposta prize for both his music and his solidarity work, and in June of that same year he received the “Quin parell d’ous” award, along with Marc Coma (winner of the Rally Dakar) from the Sant Guim de Freixenet (Lleida) town council.
In December 2007, his second CD "El Buscador" ("The Seeker") came out. In 2008, Padre Jony wrote a children's book, “La maravillosa historia de la estrella de Navidad” ("The Marvellous Story of the Christmas Star" -- Verbo Divino, 2008) and in 2009 his autobiographical “Notas de un cura rockero” ("Notes of a Rock and Roll Priest" -- Espasa, 2009) was published. Proceeds from the sales of the CDs and books go to Padre Jony's foundation. The CDs can be purchased in MP3 format from the FeelNoise online store.
Padre Jony has toured in many countries including Italy, France, the Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Colombia, and Venezuela.
Articles and Web Sites
- Padre Jony Sitio Oficial
- Padre Jony Sitio Oficial - Biografía
- Fundación Provocando La Paz
- Plataforma Antiaborregamiento
- Padre Jony Facebook Page
- Padre Jony MySpace Page
- Enciclopedia Cecilia: Padre Jony
- Padre Jony: Después de Jesucristo, el ‘rock and roll’, by Daniel Higueras, Forum Libertas, 10/20/2005
- ‘El Buscador’ del Padre Jony: “La gente sólo piensa en ganar mucho dinero y gastar”, by Daniel Higueras, Forum Libertas, 10/26/2007
- Entrevista con el Padre Jony: "la paz no viene por sí misma, sino que hay que provocarla", Tortuga, 10/1/2005
- El Padre Jony conquistó el premio “Huevos de Plata”, Tortuga, 8/22/2006
- ’Provocando la paz’, el disco del cura rockero conocido como ’Padre Jony’, Tortuga, 6/22/2005
- Encuentro Digital con Padre Jony, El Mundo, 6/27/2005
- Prefiero soñar despierto...: Entrevista al Padre Jony, La Nación, reposted on a blog 1/21/2008
- Padre Jony: "La pasión por el heavy me viene de ver a los Ángeles del Infierno", by Aitor Tezanos, El Periódico Mediterráneo, 1/17/2009
- ¿Por qué me hice sacerdote? Entrevista Padre Jony, por María Velázquez Dorantes, date n/a
- El ‘cura rockero’ presenta hoy su libro en León, por Fulgencio Fernández, La Crónica de León, 2/23/2010
- Un cura rockero y con greñas, por Noelia Ferreiro, El Mundo, 4/21/2005
- Padre Jony, el cura rockero, por Alesia Martínez, blog, posted 10/6/2009
- La Colla On Air. Entrevista al Padre Jony. Parte-1. (posted 5/18/2008)
- La Colla On Air. Entrevista al Padre Jony. Parte-2. (posted 5/18/2008)
- La Colla On Air. Entrevista al Padre Jony. Parte-3. (posted 5/18/2008)
- La Colla On Air. Actuación acústica Padre Jony. ("Knocking on Heaven's Door", posted 5/18/2008)
- Misa Joven - Canal 13, Colombia - Part 1
- Misa Joven - Canal 13, Colombia - Part 2
- Misa Joven - Canal 13, Colombia - Part 3
- Entrevista al Padre Jony en Venezuela -- multiple parts (posted 12/11/2008)
Note that there are plenty of bootleg videos of varying quality on YouTube. Here are some of the better ones: