Friday, April 23, 2010

The Old Boys Network Continues to Crumble

In my post yesterday about the church's sexual abuse scandals, after the litany of bishops who have resigned, I wrote: "There will be more." I wrote knowing that this was true, but hoping it wasn't. It is.

Today we have learned of another resignation. "When I was still a simple priest, and for a while when I began as a bishop, I sexually abused a boy in my close entourage," the bishop of Bruges, Roger Vangheluwe, said in a statement issued at a news conference in Brussels. The Pope has accepted Vangheluwe's resignation.

And I will say it again: "There will be more."

2 comments:

  1. Again, I heard it in the radio this morning. The same station that carries the Bishop’s appeals, the add for Catholic Cemeteries and the voice of Sister Mary Jordan, advertising for the J.P. the Great H.S.
    They take their money but are the first on airing the church’s “trapitos sucios”.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck, I'll air the church's "trapitos sucios" for free!...up to a point...and mainly because until we air all the dirty linen, we cannot hope to rid our Church of the filth of abuse. All you have to do is go back to what you were taught in catechism about the importance of making a complete confession in order to get full reconciliation.

    ReplyDelete